That's right...school begins again tomorrow. For me, that means no more sleeping in until embarrassing afternoon hours and no more last-minute road trips. Back to the frozen foods and soup at hand, cramming useless knowledge into my brain, and walking 2 miles a day (to and from parking spots, that is). I think I am ready to be back on a "normal" schedule, whatever that means. I'm happy that my friends are all back in Fayetteville, and I refuse to think about any of them moving away this summer. I will just make it a priority to enjoy them while they're still here.
I've spent some of my time leading up to class doing the following:
1. 3 weeks worth of laundry
2. Watching Univison while my roommate translates. There was this hilarious show on last night called Gane la Boda de sus Suenos, in which contestants earn points by dancing with professionals, spending weeks away from their fiancees, and performing other "tests" in order to try to win the wedding of their dreams. The costumes were awesome, they all reinacted their proposals, and they even brought in 3 mothers-in-law (not of any of the contestants) to give them marriage advice.
3. Doing Chinese homework, already.
4. Attempting to clean up my disaster of a room.
5. Studying for the Praxis, and then not taking it because it was cancelled.
6. Watching Dodgeball.
7. Scraping the ice off my car.
8. Going to community group and winning Scene-It (actually, I didn't answer any of the questions).
Here are the top 15 books I want to read in whatever free time I can find:
Living in Color by Randy Woodley
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne
Given: Poems by Wendell Berry
God's Politics by Jim Wallis
Flashbang by Mark Steele
The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
The Pursuit of Man by A.W. Tozer
The New Friars by Scott Bessenecker
Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterson
Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Red Azalea by Anchee Min
Pathways to Abandon by Nathan Schnackenberg
Not that I have much time to read non-school books, but for some reason when I make a list it helps me avoid starting 5 books at the same time and never finishing any of them.
In other news, my cousin's 5-year-old son has 3 strains of pneumonia. As of last night he was in ICU, in stable condition but they had to temporarily paralyze him so he wouldn't pull out his IV and breathing tubes. So pray for little Jeremy to get better.
Monday, January 15, 2007
10 More Hours of Freedom
Posted by whitney at 8:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Given is a good place to start. Wendell Berry's writings are always amazing. He writes perfect sentences, and poetry is the way to read perfect sentences. I would save Dave Eggers HWOSG until you have some down time. It is an amazing story that is very emotional and tough to get through...
Post a Comment