Some people have asked me if I've experienced reverse culture shock since returning to the U.S. I'm not even sure what that is (I know what it means, but I don't know how it plays out) but here are some of the things that are weird about being back in America.
1) I feel like I'm always spending money... and a lot of it. Stuff here costs WAY more.
2) I ate at a sushi restaurant today and said "Xie xie" to the Japanese waitress when she gave me my food.
3) I feel like the new girl in town pretty much anywhere I go. I've even forgotten how to get to some of the places I used to go all the time.
4) I don't know what to do with coins when I get them as change. China pretty much only uses paper currency so my change purse is still full of Thai Baht and Macanese Patacas.
5) Where the heck are all the taxis and public buses?
6) I stand at coffee shop counters, or sit at my table with the menu, for way too long every time just to order an iced coffee or a cheeseburger. There are SO many choices that I am nearly paralyzed every time I have to make one.
7) Everything is so big and empty (comparatively)... Wal-mart, streets, restaurants... everything.
8) I can't tune out conversations people are having around me nearly as easily when they're in English and not Chinese.
I think there are definitely bigger issues involved in reverse culture shock but I won't go into them. Maybe I'll think through them more later when the little things become normal again.
2 comments:
I'm glad your back, even if it doesn't mean overwhelming cheeseburger decisions.
need more pictures! how are you?
Post a Comment