CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lately it seems like people are changing their e-investments from the blog world to the world of facebook. As in, people are spending a lot more time updating facebook than their blogs. I would complain about this if 1) I didn't do it myself (because then I would be a hypocrite) and 2) I still lived overseas (now I can keep up with people face-to-face).

In other news, I am addicted to 2 new TV shows. One addiction is Pushing Daisies (which I owe to my cousin). It's about a guy who brings people to life by touching them, and can kill them again by touching them a second time. And, if he lets someone live more than a minute after bringing them back, someone else has to die in their place. So some guy hires him to find out how people died and collect the rewards offered for info related to their deaths. AND, to make things way more interesting, he brought his childhood sweetheart back to life, they fall in love, but he can never touch her again! (It sounds like I'm giving a lot away, but that was all in the pilot episode). The other addiction is Arrested Development (which I owe to my boyfriend). A lot of people already watch it but it's about a dysfunctional family in which the father embezzled money and is in prison, while his only normal son takes over the company and lets the rest of the family live with him. I've only seen 4 or 5 episodes but I think it's worthy of spending a significant amount of time watching (when I don't have other things to do, of course).

And, speaking of "other things", these days I don't have a lot of other things to do. I hang out in the hospital during the week a lot, and spend some of that time wondering what it would be like to be one of the parents who lives in the waiting rooms while their child is being kept alive by machines and medicines. Sometimes I cry for those people, just as I cry for my sister and brother in law (though I am fully convinced that there is a lot of hope for my nephew). However, I am constantly reminded that it is not really machines and medicines that keep babies, and other people, alive, but that it's the Spirit of God... Christ who sustains life and holds all things together.

So, other than holding Leighton's hand and watching TV, these days I hang out with people a lot. I drive a lot. I am researching grad schools for a master's degree in teaching english or applied linguistics. I'm having a lot of luck (which I don't believe in, just for the record) with all of the above except the research, which is alright, since I don't need to make a decision any time soon. I need to take the GRE. I am on a Wendell Berry reading kick that might last as long as it takes to finish all his books. I co-lead a community group that I have only been to once. I miss my students from last year like crazy but I don't know how much longer I'll be in America. I am cool with these unknowns because it is only a season of life, and because it pushes me to rely on the unchangingness of God. I know that unchangingness isn't a word, and that the right word is immutability, but I don't really care.

2 comments:

Stu said...

If you didn't care, you wouldn't point out that you didn't care. HA!

Kathryn said...

Whit-I love you! I miss you. I am sad that our paths just missed each other. So I think it is funny that people are updating facebook more b/c I do not even know how to do that anymore. Perhaps that is b/c I am in Asia explains the lack of comments..hahah